Cloud technology or cloud computing involves accessing stored data and application over the internet. In other words, cloud computing delivers hosted services over the Internet. Cloud computing is categorized in three different types – Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). The term cloud computing was named after the cloud symbol which was used to represent Internet in flowchart diagrams. It delivers computer services that includes databases, storage, servers, software, analytics, networking and more.
The characteristics of cloud computing is entirely different from traditional web hosting which is sold as per the requirement, the user can use a service as much as the requirement and the service is completely provided by the third-party vendor. By this way the user just requires a computer and an Internet access.
A cloud computing can be delivered public or private. A public-based cloud service sells service when anyone connected to the internet. Private-based cloud services offer limited hosted services to a specific set of users. No matter, what type of cloud service is provided, an easy access to computer resources and services is the objective of cloud computing.
Cloud computing and services
Cloud computing services offer IT as a service through the Internet or a dedicated private network. The services include complete applications and development resources, storage of data, servers, and virtual desktops.
Who uses cloud computing services and why?
Business and government organizations use cloud computing services to attend to IT infrastructure and application demands like maintaining database, Customer relationship management, computer and data storage. Cloud computing services can be delivered on demand in few minutes to hours while the costs depend on the customer’s usage. This gives a strong hold for the organizations to take control of the investments and expenses effectively. Equally, its easy for computers to use applications, store and protect data. They can also access the required application or data from any device connected to the internet.
Some of the cloud computing services are
• Software as a Service (SaaS): Organizations take advantage of Software as a Service to use a functionality of a software without requiring the need to install it.
• Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): Organization can also exploit the unlimited storage capability of the cloud platform.
• Platform as a Service (PaaS): This helps organization to run their applications on the service platform on the cloud. It does not require any maintenance of servers and hard drives.
• Managed Services: Cloud service providers use applications and software to take control of the services that they offer.
• Utility Services: This helps organizations to archive data through a virtual data center.
• Service Commerce: This helps organizations to take advantage of the set of applications that can be accessed by their users. It offers the organizations to use the applications they need and the corresponding services.
How does cloud storage work
The cloud computing system comprises of two sections called the front end and the back end. Both the sections are connected to each other through the internet.
The front end is the user/client end while the back end is the cloud to which the system is connected.
The front end is made up the client’s computer, application or the network to which the system is connected.
The back end comprises of the different computers, systems for data storage and servers that forms the cloud.
On the back end of the cloud technology system, there are various computers, servers and data storage systems that make up the cloud. A cloud computing system could potentially include any computer program, from data processing to video games. Generally, each application will have its own dedicated server.
Benefits of cloud computing services
Cloud computing services provides the following benefits
• Quick implementation through readily available resources from cloud
• Easy access to application and data from remote from anywhere
• Ensures scalability of the resources to meet user demands
• There is no requirement to invest on sophisticated IT infrastructure and facility
• Increased IT productivity
• Absolute protection of the organization data and assets